Sheltering Voices is a musical initiative to empower women artists, homeless women in Boston, educate the public on domestic abuse issues, and support local homeless shelters.
1. Prayer and Celebration - Augusta Read Thomas
2. Sonata for Viola & Orchestra – Rebecca Clarke (arr. Ruth Lomon)
- Deanna Badizadegan, viola
3. Sheltering Voices for Voice, Choir, and Orchestra – Stephanie Ann Boyd (World Premiere)
- Angel Azzarra, soprano
- Eureka Fellows
4. Symphony in E Minor – Amy Beach
Our vision is to recruit a choir of homeless women and we have commissioned Stephanie Ann Boyd, our Composer-in-Residence, to write a piece for this new choir and the orchestra. The lyrics are written by poet and women’s rights advocate Jessica Lynn Suchon, whose creative work is about shedding the shame and stigma around discussing female-related trauma. We are calling the commissioned work and hence the overall project “Sheltering Voices.”
This project offers a direct link to the performing arts and a chance for these women to learn about and experience their own creativity and growth; a unique therapeutic approach to healing and empowerment; and an opportunity to be involved in activism on sexual violence.